"...and the greatest of these is love."   1 Corinthians 13:13

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Pregnancy - Part 2: Letting Everyone Know

Hello all!

The first trimester went by very quickly for us. Since we found out around 5 weeks and then the holidays were right after, it seemed to fly.

We found out on December 17th that we were expecting, and December 21st we headed to the Hill Country for Christmas. We arrived that night in Kerrville to my mom and step-dad and my older brother and sister-in-law. On the drive there, Rob and I had talked about not telling anyone in our families because we were so early on, but we looked up fun ways to eventually tell everyone. But because we found out on my mom's birthday, we actually wanted to tell her secretly at some point while we were there.

When we got to my mom's house, we were all just hanging around and waiting on Price to get there. Laura made an odd request that we take a picture that night, and that she just wanted to be better about documenting things with pictures. She had my mom and I stand by the tree and Austin (actually videoing) told us, "Ok, now smile, Mom, and say, 'I'm going to be a grandma!'" We were so happy to hear the news and were so surprised. Of course, I immediately wanted to know all of the details. I figured out we were 2 weeks apart to the day, and it was so hard to keep all of the excitement inside! Rob and I went to bed that night talking about how fun it was going to be to go through pregnancy with Austin and Laura, and to ultimately raise our kids together. Cousins two weeks apart!

The next morning Laura and I were on a run and, of course, we were talking all about the pregnancy. There came a point in time where she just kept talking about how wonderful it was to be surrounded by family that could pray for you and support you because they knew of the pregnancy and how nice it was to finally let the news out. I finally just made her stop on the side of the road and told her that I was expecting. It was a fun moment to share, just the two of us.



With Laura in the know, I knew we would have to tell everyone else. It was just too fun of a coincidence that both of us were pregnant and due in August.  That night we opened presents with the family. I had gotten an ornament and had written "Baby W's First Christmas - ETA August 2013."  I waited until the last present had been opened and then handed my mom one that I had hidden.  Her reaction was so much fun, and it was a blast getting to celebrate with my family once they knew.


The next evening, we headed to Rob's parents' house in Boerne to be with his family for Christmas Eve and Christmas. We did a similar number with his parents in letting them open the last present and them finding an ornament. They were very excited, and we spent the next day and a half talking about babies and future plans. 




I told a few of my closest friends on New Years at the Prewett Ranch. Rob and I had recently gone on a trip to New Orleans, and so I pretended to let them look through our pictures from the trip. This is what they found at the end of the roll :)


For others that we had over to the house (my Bunco group, other close friends, etc.) we just left our sonograms up on the refrigerator and let them find them find out that way. It was fun to see a slight confusion on their face at first and then put two and two together. 

Any way we did it, telling people that we were expecting has been one of my favorite parts of the pregnancy so far. People have been so sweet and warm to congratulate, and we have had so much fun with it. 

More soon!





1 comment:

  1. Aww I love you Mal! I do truly miss you! I'm so thrilled for y'all and the baby boy to be!!! P.S. Girl you gotta update your blogroll on the side with my new blog! That one is the old one! ;) Love and miss you so!

    ReplyDelete