"...and the greatest of these is love."   1 Corinthians 13:13

Friday, March 22, 2013

The Ups (and Downs) of 2012

Hello blogger friends!

I hope this post finds you all well and enjoying a great 2013! It's been a while since I posted last, but I have decided that I am going to quit saying I am going to do a better job. Because I probably won't. :) But every now and again it is nice to update this thing and stay in touch with my friends that are on.

2012 was an interesting and exciting year that also brought with it some heartache. I know that that is just life and that is how it will always be, and it is comforting to know that God is with us in all of those times. He is always present, holding our right hand, and walking us through the trials and joys that He brings us to. In 2012, we lost Rob's Nana, my sweet SIL lost her dad, I left Stanley Elementary to start a new job at First Baptist Academy, I had my first minor surgery, we had some big family changes with my mom announcing her upcoming marriage, we got broken into and my purse got stolen, we hit the three year anniversary of Dad being gone, my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer, we lost my grandmother, and most recently, we lost my grandfather. It has been a rocky road, but I have never been more thankful for a supportive husband, a family that loves spending time together, friends that are like sisters, and a Savior that is ever present. 2012 has taught me much, and I can only take good away from learning experiences. (And who wants to focus on the tough stuff, anyway!)

2012 also brought some incredible, wonderful memories. There have been many blessings and joys that we have celebrated this year, and it was a blast to get to share them with loved ones and friends. Here are some of the highlights.

Rob and I celebrated two years of marriage in Roatan, Honduras. It was the kind of vacation where you explore all day and then the next day do nothing on the beach. It was perfect. It was beautiful. It was the best way to reminisce on the past few years. Love him!



We had the privilege and gift of attending the U.S. Open this year, which has been a bucket list item for  Rob for quite a while. It was incredible and something that we will never forget. We loved New York and hope to make it back soon.



We added a new member to our family this year, my step-dad, Stephen. Mom and Stephen's wedding was tough in some very predictable aspects, but he has been a huge blessing to our family and to my mom. Getting to know him during the holiday season has been a joy, and we look forward to him becoming a larger part of our lives soon.



We spent a week in Virginia with my family this summer and had a wonderful time. I am truly thankful that our family makes getting together a priority, and I am even more thankful that we enjoy that time immensely. We are blessed, indeed.



I had the joy and honor of helping welcome Miss Isla Joyce Prewett into the world in June. She is growing like a weed, and is as cute as ever. Lauren and Trevor are wonderful parents, and Isla is a joy to all those around her.



I started a new job at First Baptist Academy in August, and it has been a true blessing. The families and staff that are there are incredible, and I love my sweet little first grade team of 3 and my kiddos. God has truly blessed me with the opportunity to work in such an encouraging and positive environment.



Rob and I spent a week in San Diego in February. Part of the trip was for business and then we extended our stay for a few extra days. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there (business dinners, wives at the San Diego Zoo, shopping in La Joya, and then our time alone in downtown San Diego). It was a great trip.



We hosted a baby shower for Lauren in March and it was a blast prepping for Baby P. Lauren was as beautiful as ever and I think the shower turned out pretty cute.



Jonah celebrated 9 years of life this year in April. He is still as active and sharp as ever, and we are thankful. We love our little buddy! Here's to many more!



As usual, we enjoyed the time we spent at the ranch this year. Good memories are always made, and we always can't wait to make it back there. We are so thankful for our own little get-away spot in the beautiful Hill Country.



Rob surprised me with a spur-of-the-moment trip to Galveston the weekend before school started. He is so good about pampering me in the midst of stressful situations. I must say, going into the first day of school after a relaxing weekend with my main squeeze was good for the soul.



I celebrated my 28th birthday this year amongst good friends. It was a great weekend, and I am thankful that I have such great friends to share life's celebrations with.



We spent our Thanksgiving in Alpine, Texas this year with my mom and Stephen, Price, and about 10 hunters. It was a really fun experience (while very different from our usual Thanksgiving traditions at my mom's house) and one that I will never forget. I was thankful for the opportunity to get to know Stephen a little bit and also to be around his two children.



Christmas season this year was loads of fun. First, I found out I am going to be an AUNT! My brother and sister-in-law, Laura, are expecting their first baby around August 7th and we are thrilled. My side of the family enjoyed an early Christmas together and then we headed to Boerne to share time with Rob's family Christmas Eve and Christmas. Time spent in both places was wonderful and heart-warming. It was a great reminder of the love that we have surrounding us in our family members. It was probably the best Christmas we have had together in a few years, and we are thankful.



We spent some time in New Orleans with my brother and sister-in-law after Christmas. It was a quick trip, but it was fun to spend some time just the four of us, as that rarely happens. They headed back to Maryland shortly after. We hope to see them again soon!


But the TOPPER for this year, by far, is that we found out that we are expecting a BABY in August!!!! We were thrilled to find out, and then quickly had the huge spectrum of emotions that followed: anxiety, happiness, fear, joy, morning sickness, :) etc. (Hopefully this is all normal!) We found out on March 16th that Baby W is a BOY and we couldn't be more excited!!  We know that God has planned this little baby's life and we are thankful that He has entrusted him to us as his parents! Laura and I are two weeks apart, and I cannot begin to tell you how exciting it is to walk through this pregnancy with a sister and friend. How exciting! Hang on to your hats Maxwell clan; August is going to be one crazy month!!!



 So there is our 2012 in a nutshell! What a wild ride it has been, and what a growing one. In this past year and in the coming one, with all of the change that has happened and will continue, with all of the grief and joys, with all of the goodbyes and new beginnings, I can't help but remember that God is with us.

More soon!

Mallory



2 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the blogging world!! What a wonderful recap of your year in 2012! I can't believe what a crazy year it had been for you & Rob. The most exciting news is Baby W! We are THRILLED for you & Rob and Miss Charlotte cannot WAIT for her new boyfriend to arrive. Btw, we need to hang ASAP! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh FINALLY!! I know I already knew you were expecting, but I was waiting for the news on your list. haha. :) Cant wait to meet Baby Boy.

    ReplyDelete