"...and the greatest of these is love."   1 Corinthians 13:13

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Living the Houston Life

Happy Spring!

We have had a great past few weeks. It has flown by, and I can't believe that it is almost April! It is crazy to me to think that last year at this time I had just started wedding planning and was about to dive into one of the biggest years of my life. In so many ways, I feel like I have grown...in my relationship with Rob, in my journey as a teacher, and in my walk with the Lord. I was so excited to begin that journey, and it has been so wonderful.

I can honestly say that one thing that I was not looking forward to a year ago was leaving Austin and moving to Houston. I was so excited to be with Rob, but I was definitely not looking forward to living here. I loved being in the same town as my brother, Price, loved the active lifestyle that Austin lent itself to so easily, loved the hills, loved the small town feel that Austin had, and loved being less than 2 hours from my mom. Luckily, the transition to Houston was way easier than I expected. I told Rob the other day that I am completely sold as a "Houston girl" and would be very sad to leave here. I've had a wonderful "tour guide" to showcase all of the great attributes and attractions of Houston, and doing it with him has made it that much better.

One thing that has made Houston enjoyable has been doing things like Valentine's Day and other important days together. All of our other Valentine's Days have been spent apart or with lots of other people. Here was our first Valentine's Day together...Rob came to see me run the Austin half :) Good memories.


This year, we had a nice, romantic dinner at Sorrento's, and even though it wasn't as action packed as those in the past, it was perfect. :)


Another thing we have gotten to celebrate together was our 6th month anniversary as husband and wife. Love celebrating with this guy :) Life is one big celebration with him. He planned a progressive dinner for two of us at some of Houston's best hot spots. He is so good :)


Another fun thing we have gotten to do here has been taking a few leisure learning classes like these: http://www.llu.com/. We attended a Chinese New Years cooking class in February and that was a lot of fun. We learned a lot about the Chinese culture, and met some neat people :) This was us with the head chef.


We also went to a Dim Sum showcase and a tour through the Chinese Market we have in Houston. It was such a fun experience and was a chance to eat some new food and learn about another culture's cooking.


We've got some more classes one the docket, a wine tasting coming up soon and another cooking class at Central Market in the next few weeks. I'm so thankful I have a fun-loving husband that is willing to sacrifice and do things that I enjoy!

On another topic, one thing that I was excited about when moving here was the opportunity to be closer to one of my good friends from A&M, Annie Lukefahr. We lived across the street from each other my sophomore year of college, lived together for a summer on Fairview in College Station, and it was so fun to live down the street from her again. We would walk and meet each other to go for walks every now and again, and I loved it :) Annie is such a fun-loving, upbeat, and positive person to be around. I always love time spent with her. A few weeks ago, Annie had a wonderful opportunity to move to San Diego to be closer to her boyfriend, Jeff, so she went! I was sad to see her go, but I am SO excited for her and this next phase of her life. This was taken at Annie's going away party. I'll miss you Ann!


And you can't live in Houston and not participate in the Houston Rodeo. We LOVE the Rodeo! We have gone each year that we have been together, but this year was just a little bit better since we were married :) We got to see two of our favorites, Keith Urban and Rascal Flatts, and they were both awesome. Such fun...



Even though there have been some definite sacrifices in moving here, I am so glad the Lord has us here. We love so many things about our life here in Houston, and I can't wait to see what else He has in store for us here.

More soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment